Sinigang is definitely one of the staples of every Filipino kitchen. In this recipe, the fresh flavor of seafood is highlighted by the tart flavor of the tamarind broth and given an extra boost of white wine, just for kicks. This is awesomeness in a bowl.
Ingredients: 10 pcs sampaloc, 1 white onion, 4 cloves garlic, 2 tomatoes, 1 tbsp tomato paste or 2 cups sauce, 800 g clams, 600 g fish fillet, 12 suahe shrimp, 2 sprigs thyme, 1 bay leaf, 2 pcs ciabatta or crusty bread, 1 cup kang kong leaves, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 cup white wine, 2 cups of fish or shrimp broth.
1. Boil sampaloc in 2 cups of water. Crush sampaloc, strain and set aside.
2. Mince onions and garlic. Saute in oil for 1/1/2 minutes and then add the clams. Pour in white wine. Cover.
3. Remove clams, add broth and sampaloc water. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add in fish and shrimp. Simmer for another five minutes. Add in kang kong leaves mid way through the 5 minutes.
5. Add clams back in. Serve with toasted ciabatta bread.