Inspired by the famous bagnet sandwich at Mercato Centrale, this recipe puts an unexpected twist on the usual BLT and combines deep-fried pork liempo, crisp vegetables and an awesome lechon sauce vinaigrette that is not to be missed!
Ingredients: 4 slices liempo (cut ½ inch thick), 2 whole star anise, 4 sprigs tarragon, 1 tbsp five spice powder, 3 sprigs thyme, 1 bay leaf, 2 cups cherry tomatoes, 2 tbsps olive oil, 2 heads green ice lettuce, 1 head lolo rosa lettuce, 1 carrot, 6 black olives, ¼ cup sarsa ng lechon, 1/8 cup virgin coconut oil, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1/3 cup canola oil and 800 ml for frying, 1/8 cup coconut vinegar.
1. Boil first seven ingredients in a pot of water with salt for 40 -45 minutes until pork is soft.
2. Season tomatoes with salt, pepper, and olive oil and roast them in an oven for 10-15 minutes.
3. Slice black olives and carrots. Chop and wash lettuce.
4. Deep fry liempo. Season immediately with salt and pepper.
5. Make vinaigrette by combining vinegar, sarsa, oils, sugar, salt, pepper in a blender.
6. Assemble the salad.